To be frank this is the first time I am eating Kovak-kaai / Dhondakkai after my one trial test back at 8 years.When I got my job in chennai I used to stay in a hostel where they make recipe with this veggie, which is totally new to me because I have never seen this veggie before in my life and it looked like a tiny version of cucumber which I am usually used to eating raw or the big cucumber which we put in sambar in kerela.I hated eating it in the recipe they make , it's feels so slimy and gooey in my mouth and I just can't tolerate it.I always skip getting this in my plate when they serve it.After long years this is the time I am having it back.So how did that happened?  This week  I asked my hubby to get some vegetable and surprise me and I told I will find a new recipe to make the dish. Guess what he picked , haha the Kovak-kaai, So now it's my job to find a recipe and make it enjoyable. So after googling a lot of recipes I found this Andra recipe.I know I can only tolerate this vegetable if the dish is extremely spicy and tangy, so only i picked a. Andra recipe.And one thing I made sure to not to make this dish gooey or mushy , i tried to keep it little crunchy which is actually very good , I don't know why people overcook it.So this Andra Kovak-kaai recipe is excellent with spicy, tangy, crunchy taste and its a recipe made especially for Kovak-kaai. So why don't you try this recipe and see the truth for yourself, and one more tip try it as a sandwich it tastes excellent. But usually it is made as a accompaniment for Curd rice and roti which I can tell will also taste good.

Ingredients :

Kovak-kaai - 3 cups
Onion - 1 cup sliced
Red Chilly Dry - 4 to 5 according to level of spiciness
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic - 4 cloves (optional)
Coconut oil - 1 tsp
Salt - as needed
Amchur pd or lemon juice - 1tbsp

Method:

1.In a pan add oil and saute onion, garlic, dry red chilly, coriander seeds, cumin seeds , turmeric pd, 1/4 tsp salt till the raw smell is gone. 

2.Then grind it to a coarse paste. 

3.In the same pan add Kovak-kaai and saute with 1/4 tsp Salt for few min.

4.Then add the ground paste and saute them together till the masala is little fried and Kovak-kaai is completely cooked.

5.Add amchur pd and salt if needed and mix well.
6.Serve it as a sandwich.