The aim before trying this recipe was to finish some excess carrots and ripened banana sitting in my fridge,So the idea came out to make a whole wheat bread with those ingredients.
Surprisingly i found a recipe that can be made with "NO OIL" wow Bonus for our going on diet in our home,So we can have more bread without guilt conscious.Here I used Apple Sauce instead of Oil,Surprising to me it came out very moist and delicious too.I didn't know a bread can be made with no oil or butter.Here After this is my recipe for all breads.
But i would been double happy if the sugar is also replaced ,But any way i tried to make little healthy by adding 1/4 cup honey with 1/4 cup cup brown sugar instead of white sugar.
One doubt i still have is ,is it ok to heat honey?Still not clear about answers i tried this recipe...
Seriously you have to believe me the best whole wheat bread i ever tasted....
I Protein content of the bread comes from eggs and nuts
While Fibre comes from whole wheat flour and carrot,Well the potassium rich banana not only gives nutrition it adds sweetness too.
And tried to go with unprocessed items so instead of white sugar ,brown sugar and honey comes into the picture.
And for Fat i used apple sauce which too contributes a little towards sweetness.
Do you want to try it little more healthy why don't you try completely avoiding brownsugar and just go with 1/4 cup honey.The result may surprise you too.
any way lets go to the recipe.
And For nutritional info , its 100 calorie for 2 oz of bread
1)Oil / Apple Sauce - 1/3 cup
- ( I used apple sauce, For people who don't have or know what is apple sauce its just peeled and cored apple boiled in little water and pureed,you can aven add a stick of cinnamon while boiling apple).If you don't want apple sauce you can use oil too.
2)1/4 cup honey
3)1/4 cup brown sugar (You can use either honey or brown sugar or white sugar , the total sugar is 1/2 cup)
4)1 tsp vanilla extract
5) 2 eggs
6) 1 cup mashed Banana
7) 1 cup grated carrots
8) 1 3/4 cup whole wheat Flour
9) 1/2 Tsp Salt
10) 1 tsp Baking Soda
11) 1/4 cup hot water
12) 1/2 Cup slithered Almonds , or any nuts of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together.
- Whisk in eggs, and mix well.
- Stir in bananas and vanilla. Till this use hand blender.
- Stir in flour and salt and sift them.
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix.
- Then add flour ,carrot,baking soda mixture,Now use a spatula and gently mix ,don't over mix then bread will become hard,
- Now mix nuts with 2 tbsp of flour and add into the batter and do a gentle mix .Spread batter into a greased Baking Pan.(9 / 5 is recommended for loaf type bread , i made circle so i used my spring foam pan).For greasing is used oil.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.
The key to soft moist bread is once you add dry ingredients don't overmix.
|Mixing applesauce,sugar , honey|
|Adding in eggs|
|Baking Soda with hot water mix|
|Mixing nuts with 2 tbsp of flour|
|Adding all above to batter and using spatula to mix|
|Putting in a greased baking pan|
|Check Bread consistency by inserting a skewer .|
|Place it in a cooling rack to cool for at least 20 min|