To make Chicken Noodle Soup healthier i used barley instead of chicken ,but you can replace barley with any other carb you prefer.
For 5 oz Soup:
11 oz chicken thighs boneless skinless,no need to cut
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
1 celery stalks, sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
1/2 cup cooked pearl barley
1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp Chicken Bouillon powder ,use according to saltiness
Salt - if needed
Spring Onion 2 stalks for Garnishing
1/2 tsp coconut oil or butter
Ginger chopped 1/2 tbsp for garnishing
- In a stockpot, take oil and let it get hot then add chicken thighs and brown it on the outer surface ,do it on both sides .Then add bouillon powder and mix it well.
- Then add all the veggies and saute it for a min or so till the raw smell is gone ,then add broth, and Bring to a boil, Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes,Simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken.Let cool, then tear meat into bite-size pieces. Skim fat.or you can use a fork and tear them inside the pot itself its easy if you use only 11 oz meat if you use more meat then remove it and then shred it to pieces.
- Return broth to a boil and add barley; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in chicken .
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped green onions and ginger before serving.