A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients.
Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry but left open. A top-crust pie, which may also be called a cobbler, has the filling in the bottom of the dish and is covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell.Flaky pastry is a typical kind of pastry used for pie crusts, but many things can be used, including baking powder biscuits, mashed potatoes, and crumbs.
Pies can be a variety of sizes, ranging from bite-size to ones designed for multiple servings.
Double layer pie crust (same crust as the pumpkin pie crust, just make sure to double the amount because you will need 2 pieces)
Golden delicious apples, cored ,sliced and tossed in 1 tbsp of lemon juice - 6
Sugar - ¾ Cup
Flour - 2 Tbsp
Cinnamon - 1 tsp
Salt - ¼ tsp
Nutmeg - ¼ tsp
Zest of 1 Medium Orange
Egg Wash, (1 egg mixed with 2 Tbsp of water)
1) Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2) Spray a 9” glass pie plate with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
3) In the same large bowl that your lemon tossed apples are in, toss in all of the remaining ingredients. Toss everything very well to coat each piece of apple with the spices and orange zest. Set aside wile you roll out the pie crust.
4) Lightly flour your counter and roll out 1 of the pie crusts. Make sure that there is 1 inch overhanging the sides of the pie plate.
5) Put the apple mixture into the pie plate lined with the crust. Using the egg wash brush it all over the boarder and set aside wile you roll out the second pie crust.
6) Roll out the second pie crust, and top the apples. Pinch together the 2 crust and cut off any access pastry, leaving only 1 inch overhanging. Fold the pinched crust under and crimp all of the boarder.
7) Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with about 1 tbsp of sugar and about 1 tsp of cinnamon all over the crust.
8) Place the pie on a aluminum foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. If the edges start turning to brown to quickly cover them with aluminum foil.
9) Let stand for about 1 to 2 hours before serving.