About Sausage Sandwich:
A sausage sandwich is a sandwich containing cooked sausage. It generally consists of an oblong bread roll such as a baguette or ciabatta roll, and sliced or whole links of sausage, such as hot or sweet Italian sausage,Polish sausage, German sausage(knackwurst, weisswurst, bratwurst, bockwurst), Mediterranean merguez, American andouille or Spanish chorizo. Popular toppings include mustard, brown sauce/steak sauce, peppers, onions, sauerkraut, chili, salsa, and tomato sauce. A sausage sandwich may also be sold as a hot dog.
In the UK, sausage sandwiches (Sausage sarnie or butty in UK (English) slang, or 'Piece 'n' Sausage' in UK (Scottish) slang) can typically be found in greasy spoons (workers'cafés) and many roadside food stalls. They are also made at home, as a classic post-hangover pick-me-up.
It is a breakfast favourite although it may be purchased and consumed at any time of the day. Popular combinations are sausage and bacon, sausage and egg, sausage and fried onions and sausage and tomato.
Sausages served in a bread roll or hot dog bun in the UK, especially at barbecues are usually known as hot dogs.
2 Crusty Italian Rolls
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 Large Yellow Onion, sliced into half moon slices
2 Large Links of Italian Sausage, cut in half lengthwise
2 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
½ cup of Red Wine
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Fresh Basil Leaves
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Method:1) Preheat a non stick skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and make sure it’s nice and hot before adding the sausage.
2) When the oil is hot, add the sausage cut side down and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the sausage to a plate.
3) In the same pan, add the onions and peppers and cook for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown and still tender crisp.
4) Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to lift up all of those delicious brown bits.
5) Add the sausage back in and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
6) Remove from the heat and add a few fresh basil leaves. Make yourself a sandwich and dig in!
You can have this as a stew with out any bread